It may be detracting from a naturally young appearance to have extra fat around the jawline, which can make you appear heavier than you actually are. It's possible that the excess skin and fat under the chin are genetic, and dietary and weight adjustments may not be enough to make them go away. One option for permanently eliminating that extra fat is facial liposuction, which uses the same technique as traditional liposuction but uses a smaller suction device on the jawline, neck, and cheeks.
Here are 7 things you should know before having facial liposuction if you believe you are a suitable candidate:
1. Your double jawline can be removed with facial liposuction. One of the few cosmetic improvement techniques that can actually get rid of a double chin is facial liposuction. In order to reshape the bottom half of the face and give it a tighter, firmer, and more youthful appearance the procedure removes the localized fat.
2. You cannot receive facial liposuction if you are more than 30% over your optimal body weight. The goal of facial liposuction is not to address weight issues, rather, it is regarded as a cosmetic treatment. To seek this type of liposuction, you must be at a healthy weight. During your initial consultation, your cosmetic surgeon will decide if you are a good candidate.
3. Surgical cuts are necessary for facial liposuction. Only a tiny incision allows doctors to remove extra fat from under the chin and around the jowls. After the process is finished, a few tiny stitches will be needed here to close the wound.
4. Within three to six months, you'll start to see effects. The majority of patients experience immediate improvements in the chin and jaw line, but the most noticeable changes won't be apparent until the swelling and bruising subside and the muscles have had time to adapt. According to board-certified facial cosmetic surgeons, you'll be “major event ready" within 5-7 days but you'll need to wait at least three to six months to see a noticeable change.
5. You'll be gone for at least five days from the workplace. So you'll need to plan those days off well in preparation. Skipping the gym while recovering from facial liposuction may prevent you from overworking your muscles. You need to give your body and skin tissues as much time as possible to heal before getting back into a busy lifestyle.
6. Facial liposuction can be combined with other skin-tightening and firming treatments. You have even more choices for facelifts and laser skin tightening procedures that can help you sculpt your entire face if you choose facial liposuction at the doctor's office. You might be able to achieve results that appear natural and last for years by combining various procedures.
7. There is some edema and bruising present. Even though facial liposuction may appear to be a "mild" type of liposuction, there is still some discomfort and potential for side effects. Even so, by the fourth postoperative day most patients will notice a reduction in swelling and bruising.
Most patients who undergo facial liposuction report positive outcomes, but you can decide if this is the right procedure for you by learning as much as you can about it in advance.
Disclaimer: The videos, posts, and comments contained in our *Health & Weight Loss Categories* on this website are not medical advice or a treatment plan and are intended for general education and demonstration purposes only. They should not be used to self-diagnose or self-treat any health, medical, or physical condition. Don’t use this website to avoid going to your own healthcare professional or to replace the advice they give you. Consult with your healthcare professional before doing anything contained on this website.